Sunday, June 9, 2013

Happy Father's Day Speed Racer

Father's Day is just around the corner.  I don't know about you, but I sometimes find making masculine cards the most difficult.  Today I have two masculine cards to share with you.

These cards are inspired by my husband's hobby.  He doesn't have the "typical" hobby, his hobby is working on and driving a dirt track race car. He's driven since he was 16 but not since we've been married...but that's about to change (and I'm very nervous!!).  For my inspiration today, I used his race car.  So along with my cards you might learn a tiny bit about dirt car racing today too!

Here's the car (my husband is not in this picture):



I've had two years now to prepare myself for him to begin racing again.  He assures me it is safe.  I've been to races before though.   I've seen the crashes, the cars that flip, seen the ambulance on the track, heard the horror stories from other tracks.  Yep, a tad bit uptight here.  Next Saturday I have to face reality because it is time for his first race.  It's not that it isn't exciting, I'm just trying to make my mind have fun with it and quit worrying so much.  Faith instead of Fear...that is what I'm trying to remember, lol!  So 81 Speedway here we come!

Onto the cards...

For both of my masculine cards I used the color scheme from his car.

Speed Racer Card 2

First up, is this flag card.  I figured that flags also represent racing and so I used the paint scheme from his car for my colors.  Although, a blue flag isn't one that a driver really wants to see...it means he's going too slow & needs to move over to let the other cars by (they don't use that one at this dirt track though).   A green flag of course means the race is on!  


The other thing that every race car (or woodworker or mechanic) needs is nuts & bolts & washers.  I strung the washers on the card with the Twinery's new Solid Charcoal twine.  I tied each one on so that it wouldn't slip and punched 1/2 circles in the sides of the card base to hold the twine washers on.  I also used a tiny piece of scor-tape on the backs of the washer to help them stay in place.

Speed Racer Card 1

This next cards uses many of the same elements as the first, only this time I used the washers like eyelets and tied the twine through the holes.  It seemed like a good way to add a little more masculinity to a card.  I also tied the twine around the small banner.

I hope this helped to get your mind flowing for your own Father's Day cards.  It is always so nice that as a card maker I have the freedom to make a card that truly represents the special person in my life and I'm sure that many of you feel the same way.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Supplies for both cards:
Twine: Solid Charcoal by The Twinery
Stamps:  Zoom Goes My Heart by The Craft's Meow, Fillable Frames by PTI
Banner Die: Lil' Inker Designs Flags & Tags
Cardstock:  PTI New Leaf, SU! Pacific Point
Ink: PTI New Leaf, True Black & Pure Poppy, SU! Pacific Point, VersaMark 
Impression Plate: PTI Herringbone 
Washi Tape: Target

6 comments:

Stacy's Paper Crafts said...

Jen your cards are too cool! I bet Mason is fascinated by Dad's "cool car" :) Love your blog header BTW!

Joyce said...

Your cards are just wonderful. I would be so nervous if it were my hubby, but how sweet of you to go with it and be supportive with your cards. And, think about this--if he has an expensive hobby, then you could buy all the stamps in the world, and still spend less than him! Happy shopping then.

Moosisk said...

I totally understand!!! My hubby does drag racing for a hobby. I've seen quite a few wrecks in that sport, too. Love your cards! Perfect for your "speed racer"! :D

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, wow, these are fabulous, Jen!

Laurie Unger said...

Great masculine cards! I love your color combo!

Amy Kolling said...

These are just perfect masculine cards especially for your hubby!!! You brought in the right elements from the inspiration pic! I think they turned out great!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...