Saturday, April 17, 2010

Masculine Birthday

The theme this month for the PTI release was focused on masculine elements.  It is hard to make cards for men!  In my last post, you saw that I challenged myself to use patterned papers that I had on hand (my husband will NOT stop teasing me about my "paper hoarder" comment, but before that I didn't even know he read my blog...kind of a nice surprise!  Love you Dwight!) :)  Well, I sat down today with some "masculine" colored papers and decided to see what would happen with the stamps that I had on hand already.


As you can see, I got out my sewing machine--more on that later.  I wanted to create a "whimsical" look with the stitching to add to the "flow" of the dots in the patterned paper (plus, then you can't see how I can't sew a straight line!).  Isn't that paper cool?  I was lucky enough to win that several months back.  It is from Cosmo Cricket.  This is the first time I've used it and I LOVE it!


Stitching on cards is a great way to add texture without adding bulk!  Of course, I did have to add a little bulk to this card, LOL!!  The buttons and the popped up frame add just a little dimension while still keeping the card simple.


I inked up the "Dot Spot" stamp with PTI's Spring Rain ink and then dabbed just a little bit of Palette Reflection Blue on top of it to add some depth. 



Also, you might have noticed that I have a new blinkie in my sidebar.  I am now in a PTI blog group!  I am really excited about this!  We'll challenge and motivate each other and support each other as well.  You may hear me referring to them now and this is what I am talking about when you hear "Papertrey Paper Dolls"!

Thanks for stopping by today!  I hope you enjoy your weekend! 

Supplies
Stamps:  PTI Dot Spot, Fillable Frames 1
Ink:  PTI Spring Rain & Pure Poppy, Palette Landscape, Reflection Blue & Charcoal, PTI Tea Dye Chai
Other:  Buttons, Pop Dots
Paper:  Kraft, Ivory, Cosmo Cricket

22 comments:

Christina said...

I have this patterned paper too! Love how you combined it with Dot Spot and buttons to emphasize the circles in the paper. This is very cute!

Bonita Rose said...

oh my.. this is just fabulous.. LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this Jen. It's fun and masculine at the same time! Love that! You used just the right amount of embellies too, not to much but still enough to make it interesting! Nice job! So glad you are in the group!

Dana said...

I like that PP a lot Jen, very fun. And you made a great masculine card without being dark and boring too! Great idea doub;e inking the dot spot for depth...

Sue Ann said...

Love this card ....... you make your stitching whimsical and that is what mine looks like when I go for the straight line ...... laughing at myself right now!!! I love that paper ...... I have some that I have been hoarding.

Barb said...

Great masculine card, Jen! Love the dots and the stitching looks fun :)

Anika said...

Love that Patterned Paper! Your stitching looks great too - love how it just meanders around the card! Well done, Jen!

Mrs. Tamashiro said...

I like it! It's perfect for a guy!

Laurie HIMCR said...

This is so wonderful! I love the DP and the buttons. Just too cute!

Barbara said...

Fabulous masculine design, Jen!!

Sarah G. said...

Great masculine card! I really like the sewing.

Lee Anne said...

Love this! I have a problem with patterned paper; I never seem to use it as well as everyone else! This is great inspiration for me because I have all of these supplies - even that paper. Thanks for showing me the way!

Diane Jaquay said...

Really FUN card Jen!!

Suzanne said...

Jen, this card is fabulous! I never would have thought to use Dot Spot like that. The colors are so fun too!

Pat said...

The choice of Dot Spot was the perfect companion to your patterned paper. I love your free form stitching, too.

Teresa said...

What a fun masculine card!! I love the PP and the sewing.

Amy Kolling said...

I love the whimsical look of the sewing! I sure wish I could sew!!
Can't wait to get some time to update my blog with the Papertrey Paper Doll stuff!!

C Stephens said...

I love the card. I need to try and use my sewing machine...maybe you and the rest of the "Dolls" can give me some tips.

Anonymous said...

Great card. I like the buttons and the stitching adds a good detail!

Lisa Voerg said...

Great job with a masculine, fun card. Congrats on the win. Isn't that great? Free stuff to create with. Glad to be a part of this talented group.

Laurie said...

This is soooo cute! I love the stitching! Love the pp! You are making some great cards lately....well always! ;)

Katie said...

I love the stitching! It's a fabulous addition to an already fabulous card!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...